- As durable goods products, global consumers buy these products for family time, leisure and recreational use.
- Global consumers also expect their investment to last until they’re finished with them, typically 3 year to 15 years depending on the product.
- Being made from polyolefin plastics makes them low cost and extremely durable resisting damage from chemicals and the ever-changing environment during years of use.
- The downside? Like Teflon®, polyolefin plastics are low surface energy (LSE) making them virtually non-stick to Branding and Safety labels.
Walk into any sports, recreational or leisure retailer and you’re going to find that LSE polyolefin plastics make up the majority of everything you and I buy. A large majority of the hundreds of kayak brands available today, each with roughly 20 different models to choose from, are manufactured using LSE polyolefin plastics. Likewise, there are close to 200 different cooler brands to choose from ever since Yeti® invented the durable cooler market back in 2006. Begin looking at some of the smaller boat offerings, portable basketball hoops and other recreational products and again, you’ll recognize that most are produced using this versatile plastic.
Since the early 1990’s, there has been a very sharp increase in the use of LSE polyolefin plastics as Industrial Designers and Engineers working for OEM manufacturers are switching components, parts and entire product lines to these polymers from costlier and less durable materials used previously. Of all the plastics produced in the world today, polyolefins account for more than 55%.
It’s safe to say that durable goods products made from durable LSE polyolefin plastics not only need, but demand durable, permanent Brand and Safety labels! It would also be safe to say that for years OEM’s have listened and believed that they were receiving permanent labeling from Label and Adhesive suppliers only to find that it’s not the case.
- Name and logo label failures not only detracts from an OEM’s Brand Identity, it makes it difficult for consumers to be able to associate themselves with that Brand’s Image leading to a decrease in the perception of value.
- Safety and Warning label failures no good for anyone. Missing safety and warning information puts both consumers and OEM’s at risk. One for life-safety, the other for litigation.
When consumers buy and use these kinds of products in the real-world, the product and labels are constantly exposed to chemicals and the always changing environment. Because nothing sticks to LSE polyolefin plastics, even so-called “permanent labels” eventually fail.
The only viable solution for OEM’s is to use a 100% compatible Polyfuze label tailored to permanently meld into the LSE polyolefin plastic.
How permanent are Polyfuze labels? So permanent that they’re backed by our lifetime guarantee, our pledge that a Brands name, logo and Warning Label will be on their durable goods products until end of life use. Polyfuze, the only label permanent enough to maintain a consumers high Perception of Value on LSE polyolefin plastics.
With over 20 years experience labeling 95% of the world’s rotomolded kayaks with branding and safety information, Mold In Graphics (our sister company), knows a thing or two about durability. There are 20+ year-old kayaks, which are privately owned or still being rented on the world’s beaches, that have maintained their brand image and safety message despite harsh UV rays, saltwater, moisture and abuse.
Low Surface Energy Polyolefin plastics are currently being used on kayaks, boats, dock systems, ATV’s, UTV’s and watercraft, due to their durability and resistant properties. Those resistant properties keep solvents, fuels, oils and chemicals from adhering to, or penetrating the surface of the plastic. Those same resistant properties also keep labels from adhering to them as well, and that’s a problem since brand image along with safety and warning information is critical for reducing consumer risk and litigious efforts.
Outdoor & Recreation Industry Updates
Sign up on this form to receive updates specifically for the outdoor & recreation industry.
We promise we’ll never spam you.
One of our sales team members will reach out to you soon to explore options on how your organization can benefit from our unique Polyfuze technology polyolefin labeling solutions.